My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

I'm a mother, a lover, a sister, a friend to some, an acquantance to many. I'm easy but not stupid. I wish life was a year long trip!

Monday, April 24, 2006

Raining on my parade, who taught you to drive, and shoes

We went to DC this weekend. Well, really we only had one day. We left Friday morning and finally arrived at our destination around 6 p.m. Friday evening. Dbf drove the first leg and I drove into DC and N. Virginia. When I travel I want to get where we are going. I do not stop to eat, to piss, or any other reason (well I will for a good reason). I become a player on a Nintendo game - playing for 1st. Dbf, he drives slow as a mule and stops for anything.

This trip was a free trip given when I bought my time share. I was excited for a couple of reasons. One, my bestest friend from HS lives in N. Va. I mentioned somewhere that we have just come out of a 3 years or so period where we weren't in contact. I wanted to see her. HD and I talked about a peep meet. I was excited about that also. When I told Dbf about meeting HD his nose scrunched up and he started asking alot of questions, like "Do all of the people you talk to online want to meet you? Do they only want to meet you. Does he know that I'll be there?" So partly because of this and mainly because we only really had Saturday I didn't meet HD. Boo Hoo. I wanted to meet him so terribly. And we didn't see my bestest either because of time.

Anyhoo, we had talked and had plans. We had decided to take the Metro in from our hotel to avoid the parking mess. And I enjoy public transportation in a big city. When we left the hotel he didn't want to take the metro. So we drove around and around and around until we found a parking space. Oh, and it was raining. It was pouring. It was raining. We parked on the mall side of the Museum of American History. We visited there, the Musuem of Natural History (one of my favorities), went in the Museum of the Native Americans where we took one look at the decidely lack of a Native atmosphere and left, walked to the capitol to find it roped off. WTF, you'd think we were at war! We then went to the National Art Museum. That was enjoyable and since Dbf is an artist he was very excited. I love Art Museums also. This one had, what seemed to me, an unusual number of portrait pictures. And, some of the art I just don't get. Did I mention the torrential rain? And at one of our stops I'd laid down my umbrella and left it. It was a nice Tote brand made for Breast Cancer Awareness. I liked it alot. Oh well, I was already wet from the rain. We then drove to Lincoln. It was now 6:30 p.m. and we went back to the hotel. Next morning we left to come home. Two nights sounded like a lot more time than we had in reality. And it rained.

Now on the way back I took the wheel again. I love the drive through Maryland, around Cumberland. It's pretty, very hilly and very challenging at the speed I drive. My best time from DC to Columbus, OH was 5 hrs and 50 minutes. Most people give it 7 hours. This is the nintendo part. At some curves you need to lean the right way or you will feel that the car is unstable. The road is not crowded, like I-70 through Pennsylvanie. It is basically wide open terrain. And this is where I want to know who taught you to drive? Do you consider yourself a good driver? Are you a cautious driver? Do you drive differently on a "road trip" than in day-to-day driving?

Do any of you drive in the left lane, on the open road, and never leave it? Do you, as a habit, drive in the left lane directly even with the car in the right lane at the same speed - damn the traffic behind you? Do you feel that if you are going, say 3 miles over the posted limit and are passing a car, that you are okay in the left lane?

If anyone out there answered yes to the above 3 questions then you are lucky I don't want to go to prison cause I'd shoot your tires out. Now I've calmed down considerably since I almost cause a clueless female in a convertible wreck. Seriously, I've calmed down. But . . . . . .

WTF, or WhoTF taught people to block traffic for miles behind them? Are these people clueless? Are they arrogant? Are they more men that woman? (on a past trip from St. Louis, Mo to Columbus, OH the men who blocked the PASSING lane greatly outnumbered the woman. Yes, me and my boys counted. )

DRIVING LESSON - on the open road - you drive in the RIGHT hand lane unless you are passing a car. Once you pass said car you return to the RIGHT hand lane. It doesn't matter if you are going 10 over the posted limit, someone will want to go 15. I'll will want to go 20. Accidents are not caused by the people traveling fast, they are caused by asshats who block traffic for miles by blocking the left lane. Oh, and the ones who wait until they are on the back bumper of a slow car and then decide to pass by suddenly cutting into the left lane not noticing that there is already someone in the left lane going 90 (yes it's me).

For the record I drive 90% of the time in the right lane. I only use the left lane to pass. And for the record I've had two speeding tickets - one in 1973 while going to work down a long city street - 45 in a 25; and the other while going to a meeting in a suburb neighborhood going 45 in a 35. I've been driving almost 40 years.

Please learn to drive!

And I bought 4 pairs of shoes at a mall in Virigina. Dbf wanted to go to TJMaxx and there was a shoe store next door with a buy one get one 50%. I bought two thong sandals that will match my new bathing suit, one sport sandal in black and pink (and I realized when I got home I don't have any pink summer clothes - yea, shopping spree), and these Women's Sightsee in black:


A co-worker has these and they are cute with slacks. And she says they are divinely comfortable.

I want all colors but they are expensive, at least by my shoe buying standards.




All in all, I had a great weekend. I was relaxed and happy. I would have been much happier if: it hadn't rained, I'd been able to see HD, and if I'd been able to see my bestest.

And disgusted, feel free to lodge a bullet here.

16 Comments:

Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Ok, I need to know more about these shoes? Linky please!

I try not to ever sit in the left lane. If there's not much traffic & I seem to be going quite a bit faster than everyone else, I'll sometimes sit because I'm zoned. I kick myself as soon as a car races up from outta nowhere.

Glad you had a nice time, though!

3:35 PM  
Blogger Emily RugBurn said...

I *lvoe* to drive, but as I live in a major city and don't own a vehicle, I rarely get to indulge. However, in the past 2 weeks, I have spent at total of 23 hours behind the wheel (of a rental car) and I echo your sentiments completely!

I'm a cautious driver (always ensuring a a safe radius of open space around me, and checking my mirrors religiously) but I do tend to speed, and I absolutley HATE IT when asshats going "not fast enough" block the left lane. I wonder how the hell they don't know that the left lane is for PASSING ONLY! It's really a very simple concept; if you're not passing anyone, get in the frigging right lane! ARG!!

~ EmRB

4:09 PM  
Blogger Aislinn Sirk said...

I'm in the right lane almost all the time. I go in the left lane to pass, but I will also pull into the left lane if there is an on ramp merging onto the highway with a lot of cars, as that makes it easier for them.
Call it preemptive passing.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Puffy said...

I love those shoes. I want them. You gave me your make-up. Now give me your shoes.

I'm a good driver. I don't know why I get so many tickets.

:) :)

5:54 PM  
Blogger mysticwolf said...

LOL! Maybe it's an Ohio thing.

I drive the same route when I go to my sister's house in VA. And, I have exactly the same set of pet peeves about drivers.

Now, I need to go look up those shoes online.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Lasann said...

The shoes are skechers. Try www.skechers.com. I tried to put a link in the post but couldn't figure it out so I pasted a pic. They are pricy, $54.00 or so

Puffy, hell no you can't have my shoes. Well, you can have the ones I no longer want.

Mystic - unfortunately, it's a USA thing, except in Texas where they get over to the birm to let you pass. When we drove Ohio to Washington state I was so excited that WA state had a sign posted explaining it. They did not obey it, however.

And FTR, in an urban area the left/right lane rule doesn't apply since there's so much traffic. I don't get frustrated in cities, only on the open road.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Bravie said...

Okay, normally I am a left lane driver and a courteous one at that. I will move over for someone to pass and I usually do about 80.

The exception to this is if I am on the phone with Breezy. She forces me to go 45 and get honked at and tailgated. Anyone else on the phone, I'm okay. But Breezy does something that slows down my driving and my road etiquette.

10:05 PM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

I need those shoes too!

I hate left lane blockers! That's the worst, especially when there are miles of empty road up ahead! MOVE THE EFF OVER, ASSHATS!

I don't drive 90. I usually drive about 70-75, but I'll move right if someone like you is coming up from behind! I do hate those folks who honk at me in the left lane when there are ten friggin' cars on the right and I can't effin move out of their way! They are asshats too!

I will use the right lane if nobody else is on the road, but will move left when coming up on an entrance ramp too.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Sounds like fun. Where are the pics? I swear you get to go everywhere. I'm so jealous.

9:33 AM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

I'll have to check my local mega shoe store for those sketchers. I snagged a pair of brown Sketchers boots there for $15 one season. I love bargain shelves there because I have big feet (10) & they carry lots of shoes for us bigfoots.

2:57 PM  
Blogger HistoryDetective said...

You and I would get along very well on a roadtrip. My parents live 555 miles from me. I make the trip in 7 hours, 45 minutes. It takes them 13 hours. I think they would enjoy riding around with your DBF.

Bummer about the peep meet. I didn't realize that DBF was uncomfortable with you meeting me. You were sure to tell him that I'm a gay guy, right? That might have helped to alleviate some of his concerns about my intentions!

I would have loved to meet both of you. One of my favorite things to do is play tour guide around cities I love. Considering the weather in DC and Baltimore over the weekend, I wish that I had been down there to show you to the best indoor places to see.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Lasann said...

HD,

Yes, I told him you would probably be checking him out, not me. *smile*

I may do another trip to the area to see bestest and you. I probably would want to do Baltimore since I've never been there.

9:59 AM  
Blogger HistoryDetective said...

I generally keep my carriage in the left lane since so many folks in the right lane move so slowly. Like you, I keep my horses moving at a fast pace, but it would annoy me to be moving back and forth between the right and left lanes since I am constantly passing other carriages.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Debcapsfan said...

:( I was in DC on Saturday. Ushering at the Warner Theatre. We could have had a walk-by peep meet. *smooch*

12:10 PM  
Blogger Lasann said...

Debs, oh my. That's amazing. Don't know where the Warner Theatre is?

Alec, you'd let me pass if I were traveling 120 and you were doing a measly 110, wouldn't you?

3:16 PM  
Blogger Schnookie said...

I'm one of those peeps that stays in the right lane and never leaves it, even if there's a slow moving farming vehicle in front of me LOL.

I drove part of the way to Virginia with DH a few years ago and will never do it again. I get too scared when driving on curves with 18-wheelers beside me.

Glad you had an enjoyable time in DC, even though it rained. It's a beautiful city.

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home